Abbey of Tristernaugh, Co. Westmeath
File Type:JPEG image
cgjc1170.jpg (JPEG image) 396.5Kb
Description:'This drawing is a view of the 13th century Augustian priory of Tristernagh, County Westmeath, Ireland, as seen from the south-east. This building was demolished in 1783. To the far right a group of people dance around a person standing on a dais at the foot of what is probably a flagpole. An engraving based on this drawing to be found in Volume II of Francis Groses's "Antiquities of Ireland" (London 1791 but not published till 1796) as Plate 107. Angelo Bigari (fl. 1772-1779) was accompanied by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) who wrote of the trip in his notes (see National Library of Ireland Ms 4162, pages 29-30).' (www.nli.ie) A copy of this drawing, done by Joseph Reverend Turner, is also in the collection of the NLI, call number Coo 2122 TX (2) 27, see image cgjc1171.
Dimensions/Extent:24 cm x 16 cm
Material (Support):paper (fiber product)
Title of Larger Entity:Austin Cooper. Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland. 1875, 30.
Author: Bigari, Angelo Maria
Type of material:Image
Availability:Full text available