File Type:JPEG image
Citation:Gorry Gallery Catalogue, 1st March 2006, p 39, no 70
cgjc0929.jpg (JPEG image) 379.8Kb
Description:This painting is signed and dated by the artist. It depicts the original Waterloo bridge on the site and was designed by John Rennie and opened in 1817 as a toll bridge. The granite bridge had nine arches. Before its opening it was known as 'Strand Bridge'. It was nationalised in 1878 and given to the Metropolitan Board of Works, who removed the toll from it. Serious problems were found in its construction and the new owners reinforced it. By the 1920s the problems had increased and the original bridge was demolished. A new Waterloo bridge was later completed in the 1940s. Barton painted another very similiarly composed watercolor, also titled 'Waterloo Bridge'in 1892; see image cgjc0930.
Dimensions/Extent:24.5 cm x 33 cm
Material (Support):paper (fiber product)
Type of material:Image
Availability:Full text available