View of Windermere Lake, early morning, 1781
File Type:JPEG image
cgjc0630.jpg (JPEG image) 527.0Kb
Description:Belle Isle Round House, on Windermere?s largest island, Belle Isle, seen in this image, was built in 1774 by John Plaw to the instructions of the island owner, a Mr. English. The house is round with a portico and double staircase. It can be seen from the Bowness shore but is mostly hidden by trees. The house and island were purchased in 1781 by John Christian Curwen, who made his fortune in the mines of west Cumberland. The island was name after his wife, Isabella.
Dimensions/Extent:149 cm x 240.5 cm
Type of material:Image
Availability:Full text available