Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorBigari, Angelo Maria
dc.coverage.spatialNational Library of Ireland
dc.date.accessioned2008-07-11T15:20:06Z
dc.date.available2008-07-11T15:20:06Z
dc.date.createdc. 1779
dc.date.issued2008-07-11T15:20:06Z
dc.identifier.othercgjc1170
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2262/18533
dc.description'This drawing is a view of the 13th century Augustian priory of Tristernagh, County Westmeath, Ireland, as seen from the south-east. This building was demolished in 1783. To the far right a group of people dance around a person standing on a dais at the foot of what is probably a flagpole. An engraving based on this drawing to be found in Volume II of Francis Groses's "Antiquities of Ireland" (London 1791 but not published till 1796) as Plate 107. Angelo Bigari (fl. 1772-1779) was accompanied by Gabriel Beranger (ca. 1730-1817) who wrote of the trip in his notes (see National Library of Ireland Ms 4162, pages 29-30).' (www.nli.ie) A copy of this drawing, done by Joseph Reverend Turner, is also in the collection of the NLI, call number Coo 2122 TX (2) 27, see image cgjc1171.en
dc.format.extent406099 bytes
dc.format.mediuminken
dc.format.mediumink washesen
dc.format.mimetypeimage/jpeg
dc.language.isoen
dc.subjectTristernaugh Abbeyen
dc.subject.lcshArt -- Irishen
dc.subject.lcshDrawing -- Irishen
dc.subject.lcshRuins in arten
dc.subject.lcshAbbeys -- Ireland -- Pictorial works.en
dc.subject.lcshWestmeath (Ireland) -- Buildings, structures, etc.en
dc.subject.lcshWestmeath (Ireland) -- Social life and customs.en
dc.titleAbbey of Tristernaugh, Co. Westmeathen
dc.typeImageen
dc.coverage.cultureIrishen
dc.format.extentdimensions24 cm x 16 cm
dc.format.supportpaper (fiber product)en
dc.subject.period18th century
dc.title.largerentityAustin Cooper. Antiquities of Abbeys, Castles, & Towers in Ireland. 1875, 30.en
dc.type.workdrawingen


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record