Show simple item record

dc.contributor.authorBrocas, Henry (Irish painter, draftsman, and engraver, 1766-1838)
dc.coverage.spatialNational Gallery of Ireland
dc.date.accessioned2008-08-22T11:48:07Z
dc.date.available2008-08-22T11:48:07Z
dc.date.issued2008-08-22T11:48:07Z
dc.identifier.othercgjc1409
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/2262/20904
dc.descriptionThough it is described in the title as Carlingford Castle, the castle depicted in this watercolor is now more commonly known as King John's Castle. It was 'allegedly founded by King John who stayed here for three days in 1210, the castle may have been begun some years previously by Hugh de Lacy. The semicircular western half of the castle was probably built before King John's visit. The high dividing wall, and the whole of the eastern half of the castle was added in 1261. Here there are two floors above a basement (now largely filled up). There were a number of rooms on the ground floor; the entrance to this part of the castle was through a door in the first floor, and here was probably situated the great hall of the castle.' (www.goireland.com)en
dc.format.extent661283 bytes
dc.format.mediumwatercolor (paint)en
dc.format.mimetypeimage/jpeg
dc.language.isoen
dc.subject.lcshArt--Irishen
dc.subject.lcshWatercolor painting -- Irishen
dc.subject.lcshLandscape painting -- Irishen
dc.subject.lcshKing John's Castle (Carlingford, Ireland)en
dc.subject.lcshBoats and boating -- Ireland - Historyen
dc.subject.lcshCarlingford Lough (Northern Ireland and Ireland)en
dc.subject.lcshMountains--Irelanden
dc.subject.lcshArchitecture--Ireland--Historyen
dc.titleCarlingford Castle, Co. Louthen
dc.typeImageen
dc.contributor.roleartisten
dc.coverage.cultureIrishen
dc.subject.period18th - 19th century
dc.type.workpaintingen


Files in this item

Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record