File Type:JPEG image
cgjc1370.jpg (JPEG image) 190.2Kb
Description:'The McDermott?s official residence was on The Rock, now called Castle Island, seen in this painting as the smaller structure on the left side. There is reference to Castle Island in the annals of Loch Key as early as 1184. During this time the park was called Moylurg and the Kings of Moylurg were the McDermotts. As space was limited on this small island they had another residence on the mainland. The McDermotts ruled this area until the 17th century when it was granted to the King family from England under the Cromwellian settlement. The King family spent their time between the town of Boyle and Moylurg which they renamed Rockingham, seen as the larger big house in this painting. The famous architect John Nash designed the house in 1809/10. He was the renowned architect responsible for building the Regents Park and Regents Street in London. In 1957 the house was destroyed by fire, believed to have started in the upper basement due to an electrical fault. The state took over the land in the 1950s and the remaining walls of the house were demolished in 1971. A concrete viewing tower called The Moylurg Tower was built on the site of the house in 1973.' (www.loughkey.ie) Another of Henry Brocas Snr.'s untitled landscape paintings may be of another view of Rockingham, see image cgjc1390.
Type of material:Image
Availability:Full text available