View of the Castle and City of Kilkenny
File Type:JPEG image
cgjc1025.jpg (JPEG image) 1.077Mb
Description:This painting was signed and dated by the artist. By the second half of the eighteenth century, Kilkenny Castle was very badly run-down just as the fortunes of the Butler family and of Ireland were. Walter Butler of Garryricken, inherited the Butler titles and lands in 1766, and decided to move into the very dilapidated castle. His son, John, had married the heiress Anne Wandesford of Castlecomer, and Walter and John spent much of his inheritance on the castle. They re-routed the old approach road away from the castle, built a new road, and then landscaped and planted the Castle Park and the road much as it is today. They built the beautiful stables and courtyards across this road and finally Walter moved to his newly-built dower house, Butler House beyond those stables.After his father's death, in 1783, John Butler reclaimed the title of seventeenth Earl of Ormond. This was confirmed in 1791. The Butlers rapidly re-established their position and prestige.
Dimensions/Extent:20.3 cm x 30.5 cm
Author: Beaufort, William Louis
Type of material:Image
Availability:Full text available